Sunday 26 August 2012

The Jealousy Factor


I'm not someone used to being jealous of people. I do of course become influenced or impressed, but jealousy is just not my response.


Or so I thought, until yesterday.
The credit for my dress designing and stitching goes completely to my maternal grandmother [ نانو ]. Mama doesn't usually bear the torture of sitting with a sewing machine, but something made her make me a dress this time, yesterday.

It was a pink-and-white printed cotton dress, and large scraps of the cloth as well as some of the adorning lace were left over by the end. Mama wrapped them up into a ball and placed them in a shopper in case she might need them later on. She then began clearing up the place ready to prepare dinner. After testing the dress for fitting, I logged onto Facebook to check out the social network updates. I expected mama to be in the kitchen, and so the gentle whirr of the sewing machine came as a surprise. I put it down to her mending something as an afterthought. No worries.

Absorbed in the World Wide Web I realized only after 20minutes that the whirring was still continuing!
I got up to check up on mama. And what did I see? Mama holding up a white frock with pleated neck; the same pink-and-white cotton highlighting the shoulder joints; the white embroidered lace encircling the hem. A pretty girl-ish frock. That might not have been much in itself had I not seen the huge loving smile on her face. I was shell-shocked. I mean, who was that little dress for? We don't have a little girl that age for miles in our extended family, so why the dress?

Before I could speak a word, mama asked me how did the frock look? I said hmm, good, but who WAS it for? So she told me; it was for the daughter of a classmate from Quran class. Wasn't it pretty? How should she join the bow? Like the traditional two-tier thing, or the simple kind? She kept asking me these questions in quick succession but they were entirely lost on me. Yes, I was furious in my mind. Jealous. Of the little girl.

And on top of the cloth-ey business, she also mentioned that the little girl was one pretty thing and was a 'girl' true to the bone. That she usually wore the pinks and purples meant for little girls; had straight hair she usually wore in two ponytails; had a sweet voice one just wanted to hear over and over again. I'm sure mama didn't mean to point out my own un-girl-iness, but I felt the contrast hard.
Really hard.

Why was I jealous? Maybe because it was MY mother making a dress for ANOTHER little 'girl'. Because it's ME who's going to a different country in a week's time. Because it's ME who wants MY own mother's FULL attention. Maybe this. Maybe that.
 
I know it's hardly the response to expect from a university student. I mean, نانو makes the girls in her area dresses all the time as gifts, and I haven't once felt like this.
But, this time…?
I'm ashamed. But… but…*another bout of uncontrollable jealousy*

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I can relate because I am also going away to another country in a weeks time. Sigh. We are possessive beings when it comes to our mother's love. We even start to feel uncomfortable when another sibling receives too much of her attention, whereas this is some girl you don't even know.

    But you must remember that YOU are the one your mother's life revolves around. Not any other random kid.

    :)
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite normal, in case of siblings :)

    ReplyDelete